Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Garden Giveth and The Garden Taketh Away

 We've been cutting open ripe figs from our tree, but the fruit has little taste, no sweetness and way too much rind.  We've resorted to buying purple figs from the farmers market.  They're like candy.
 It turns out we bought the wrong type of fig tree.  We had no idea there were figs that tasted bad.  It looks like we might have to get another fig tree.
 A storm that rolled through knocked both my healthy tomatillo plants over and broke them.  It's not a great loss, as neither had managed to fruit at all.
Our first green beans!

4 comments:

  1. Figs probably need less water than you have in your part of the world.
    Here they grow out in nature, and we have a very long dry summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this being TX, I bet they'll do great next year when we're not watering to help the newly planted tree get established! Gives me something to look forward to!

      Delete
  2. Soooooo, I know it's not what you planted them for, but man do they look like they'd be beautiful to decorate with inside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, my friend! They might even last a week if I pick them just before they're ripe :) They're about 1.5" across and you have to wait until the latex dries from the end of the stem, but I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

      Delete